[REDIRECT_HTTPS] => on
    [REDIRECT_STATUS] => 200
    [HTTPS] => on
    [SSL_TLS_SNI] =>
    [HTTP_USER_AGENT] => CCBot/2.0 (
    [HTTP_ACCEPT] => text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    [HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE] => en-US,en;q=0.5
    [HTTP_IF_MODIFIED_SINCE] => Sat, 23 Mar 2019 20:25:52 JST
    [HTTP_HOST] =>
    [HTTP_CONNECTION] => Keep-Alive
    [PATH] => /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at Port 443
[SERVER_SOFTWARE] => Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) [SERVER_NAME] => [SERVER_ADDR] => [SERVER_PORT] => 443 [REMOTE_ADDR] => [DOCUMENT_ROOT] => /server/www/html/ [REQUEST_SCHEME] => https [CONTEXT_PREFIX] => [CONTEXT_DOCUMENT_ROOT] => /server/www/html/ [SERVER_ADMIN] => [SCRIPT_FILENAME] => /server/www/html/ [REMOTE_PORT] => 46372 [REDIRECT_QUERY_STRING] => idioma=en&menu=1266 [REDIRECT_URL] => /en/1266-jan-18-control-board-continues-to-make-major.html [GATEWAY_INTERFACE] => CGI/1.1 [SERVER_PROTOCOL] => HTTP/1.1 [REQUEST_METHOD] => GET [QUERY_STRING] => idioma=en&menu=1266 [REQUEST_URI] => /en/1266-jan-18-control-board-continues-to-make-major.html [SCRIPT_NAME] => /mostrarContenido.php [PHP_SELF] => /mostrarContenido.php [REQUEST_TIME_FLOAT] => 1558401912.689 [REQUEST_TIME] => 1558401912 )
Choose your country:.

News & Press Releases

Control Board continues to make major investments in 2018

January 2018



The Control Board continues to make major investments in the areas of promotion and quality control in 2018


- 65.2% of the €16.58 million budget for 2018 will be allocated to promotion

- The campaign will focus on twelve countries, with special attention to the domestic Spanish market

- New messaging, united under a single, global creative concept, will focus on the promotion of white wines, wine tourism, and communicating the new indications including “zonas”, “pueblos”, and “Viñedos singulares”

- In 2018, Rioja will carry out campaigns in two new markets with interesting opportunities for growth: Denmark and Holland 


The Rioja D.O.Ca has approved a new budget for 2018 which totals €16,581,798. Strategy in 2018 will be in line with the previous two years and thus involves maintaining a high level of investment in promotion (65% of overall budget), and improving quality control processes. Bodegas will contribute towards 57.4% of the cost and growers will contribute towards the remaining 42.6%. Once community contributions raised for advertising investment in third-party countries are deducted, the budget is entirely borne by Rioja itself.   

The Control Board’s goal is to continue to strengthen the positioning of Rioja wines in 12 primary markets, and to collaborate in developing the region’s wine tourism. Positive growth forecasts mean Spain and the United States are key markets for promotional spend, and will receive €2.77 and €2.74 million respectively, towards marketing activity. Denmark and Holland are two new markets which will be a focus for 2018. In terms of the ‘mature markets,’ including the United Kingdom, Germany, Mexico, Ireland, Canada, and Switzerland where Rioja wines are well established, the Control Board hopes to see an increase in export value. In emerging markets such as China and Russia, Rioja aims to see a greater presence of Rioja wines. Finally, the promotional budgets for China and Switzerland have increased following strong sales performances for Rioja over the last year.

The 2018 strategy also involves the promotion of white wines which have seen a strong sales increase, as well as promotion of the new geographical indications which were approved in 2017. In addition, wine tourism will continue to play a leading role with the Rioja Control Board recently becoming part of the Great Wine Capitals network. Another key effort towards the image of wine tourism in the region will be in the development of global projects such as the Rioja Wine Educators Programme.  This seeks to find ambassadors for Rioja in Spain or abroad, and there are currently 60 accredited members.

Finally, in 2018, the Control Board will also implement a new brand communication strategy with a global message. Over the coming months, Rioja will develop a new creative concept and will also lead a web design re-development project at an international level. 



For more information, please contact the Wines from Rioja team at Phipps on

0207 759 7400 / 


Notes to Editors:

Wines from Rioja is the UK marketing arm of The Rioja Regulatory Council or Consejo Regulador de Rioja D.O.Ca, the body responsible for the application and monitoring of legislation relating to the quality and standards of wines produced in the region, promotion of the image of Rioja wines and defence of interests of the sector.

Consejo Regulador DOCa Rioja 2018 budget and promotional breakdown by country